Daniel Fast Harira
The spices in this recipe give this chickpea and lentil soup its rich flavor even though it has no lamb as in the traditional dish. Harira is a great recipe for the Daniel Fast as it has nearly 15 grams of protein per serving.
2 Tbs canola oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 cups warm water
Pinch of saffron threads
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp peeled fresh ginger, minced
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 garlic clove, minced
2 cups organic mushroom broth
1 1/2 cups chopped and seeded plum tomatoes
1/2 cup dried small red lentils
2 15 oz. cans no-salt-added chickpeas, drained
3 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
3 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add onion and celery and saute 4 minutes or until tender
- Combine 2 cups warm water and saffron, let stand 2 minutes.
- Add 1/4 tsp salt, ginger, red pepper, cinnamon, and garlic. Cook 1 minute.
- Add saffron water mixture, broth, tomato, lentils, and chickpeas. Bring to boil then reduce heat. Simmer 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in cilantro, parsley, and remaining 1/4 tsp salt.
Yield: 4 servings