Smokey Stuffed Peppers
2 Tbs olive oil
2 stalks celery, minced (1/2 cup)
1 medium onion, minced
2 Tbs poultry seasoning
1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, drained and minced
2 cups cooked brown rice or wild rice medley
1/2 cup yellow raisins
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 tsp liquid smoke flavoring
5 oz tofu, mashed
3 red bell peppers, laved lengthwise
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add celery, onion, poultry seasoning, and garlic. Saute until soft (about 7 minutes).
- Stir in chipotle pepper and saute 2 more minutes.
- Add rice, raisins and broth; cook for about 5 minutes. This should be the consistency of stuffing.
- Meanwhile, mash tofu and then mix with enough liquid smoke flavoring to your taste (a little goes a long way). Divide the tofu among the pepper halves then top with rice mixture.
- Place peppers in 9″ x 12″ casserole dish. Add water until it comes 1/2″ up sides of peppers.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until peppers are soft and the stuffing is hot.
Yield: 6 servings