Asian Tofu Stew
This is an Asian inspired stew to serve over brown rice. The tofu is an excellent source of protein and a great addition to the Daniel Fast.
1/2 cup 100% peanut butter
2 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup chopped onion
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped carrots
2 pounds firm tofu, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon Five Spices
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon lemon juice
6-8 cups cooked brown rice
- WHISK together the peanut butter and vegetable broth in a medium bowl until well blended.
- SEASON the tofu with soy sauce and Five Spices. Heat the oil in a large stew pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper and carrots. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the tofu and continue to cook, stirring often, until browned on all sides.
- Add the peanut butter mixture, tomatoes with liquid, thyme, bay leaf, ginger and lemon juice. Stir well. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 20 or until the vegetables are tender.
- SEASON to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot over cooked rice.
Yield: 6-8 Servings